Serenitys_Dream

The Romani People
September 03, 2010, 03:57:30 PM
I have been looking up some things about my own ancestry and I happened to come across some information about the Romani people also known as Gypsy. It seems several people who have come up in this adventure are Romani. Not sure of the connection to the hoax but it seems pretty coincidental...

So far these people have come up:
Elvis
Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth
Bill Clinton
Mother Teresa

Romani People
The Romani (also Romany, Romanies, Romanis, Roma or Roms; exonym: Gypsies; Romani: Romane or Rromane, depending on the dialect) are an ethnic group living mostly in Europe, who trace their origins to medieval India.

The English term Gypsy (or Gipsy) originates from the Greek word Aigyptioi, whence modern Greek gifti, in the belief that the Romanies originated in Egypt, and in one narrative were exiled as punishment for allegedly harboring the infant Jesus.

As described in Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the medieval French referred to the Romanies as Egyptians. The term has come to bear pejorative connotations. The word "Gypsy" in English has become so pervasive that many Romani organizations use it in their own organizational names.

In North America, the word "Gypsy" is commonly used as a reference to lifestyle or fashion, and not to the Romani ethnicity. The Spanish term gitano and the French term gitan may have the same origin.

World War II
During World War II, the Nazis embarked on systematic attempt at genocide of the Romanies, known as the Porajmos. They were marked for extermination and sentenced to forced labor and imprisonment in concentration camps. They were often killed on sight, especially by the Einsatzgruppen (mobile killing units) on the Eastern Front. The total number of victims has been variously estimated at between 220,000 to 1,500,000; even the lowest number would count as one of the largest mass murders in history.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

[attachment=1:2vfs6871]rp.jpg[/attachment:2vfs6871]

[attachment=0:2vfs6871]rp2.jpg[/attachment:2vfs6871]
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

all4loveandbelieve

Re: The Romani People
September 03, 2010, 04:14:06 PM
Quote from: "Serenitys_Dream"
I have been looking up some things about my own ancestry and I happened to come across some information about the Romani people also known as Gypsy. It seems several people who have come up in this adventure are Romani. Not sure of the connection to the hoax but it seems pretty coincidental...

Elvis
Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth
Bill Clinton
Mother Teresa

Romani People
The Romani (also Romany, Romanies, Romanis, Roma or Roms; exonym: Gypsies; Romani: Romane or Rromane, depending on the dialect) are an ethnic group living mostly in Europe, who trace their origins to medieval India.

The English term Gypsy (or Gipsy) originates from the Greek word Aigyptioi, whence modern Greek gifti, in the belief that the Romanies originated in Egypt, and in one narrative were exiled as punishment for allegedly harboring the infant Jesus.

As described in Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the medieval French referred to the Romanies as Egyptians. The term has come to bear pejorative connotations. The word "Gypsy" in English has become so pervasive that many Romani organizations use it in their own organizational names.

In North America, the word "Gypsy" is commonly used as a reference to lifestyle or fashion, and not to the Romani ethnicity. The Spanish term gitano and the French term gitan may have the same origin.

World War II
During World War II, the Nazis embarked on systematic attempt at genocide of the Romanies, known as the Porajmos. They were marked for extermination and sentenced to forced labor and imprisonment in concentration camps. They were often killed on sight, especially by the Einsatzgruppen (mobile killing units) on the Eastern Front. The total number of victims has been variously estimated at between 220,000 to 1,500,000; even the lowest number would count as one of the largest mass murders in history.

[attachment=1:3fzg0xug]rp.jpg[/attachment:3fzg0xug]

[attachment=0:3fzg0xug]rp2.jpg[/attachment:3fzg0xug]

Yes long time ago in Rome there were gypsies. Most of the gypsies were killed because they thought they were witches.  I have family in Rome, and yes I am also a Romani..the English word, is  Roman. Can you please explain  what is the connections Romans with  Michael Jackson? thanks..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

Serenitys_Dream

Re: The Romani People
September 03, 2010, 04:17:52 PM
Quote from: "all4loveandbelieve"
Yes long time ago in Rome there were gypsies. Most of the gypsies were killed because they thought they were witches.  I have family in Rome, and yes I am also a Romani..the English word, is  Roman. Can you please explain  what is the connections Romans with  Michael Jackson? thanks..

Quote from: "Serenitys_Dream"
Elvis
Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth
Bill Clinton
Mother Teresa

The connection is Egypt, Jesus and some other things.

[youtube:2xk86rd5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6Jdz0fSAY[/youtube:2xk86rd5]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions