curlsTopic starter

New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals
August 11, 2010, 11:56:29 AM
11 August 2010
Last updated at 14:14

New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals By Michelle Roberts

Health reporter, BBC News

NDM-1 has been found in E.coli bacteria A new superbug that is resistant to even the most powerful antibiotics has entered UK hospitals, experts warn.

They say bacteria that make an enzyme called NDM-1 have travelled back with NHS patients who went abroad to countries like India and Pakistan for treatments such as cosmetic surgery.

Although there have only been about 50 cases identified in the UK so far, scientists fear it will go global.

Tight surveillance and new drugs are needed says Lancet Infectious Diseases.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
The fear would be that it gets into a strain of bacteria that is very good at being transmitted between patients”
End Quote
Dr David Livermore

Researcher from the HPA

Q&A: NDM-1 superbugs
NDM-1 can exist inside different bacteria, like E.coli, and it makes them resistant to one of the most powerful groups of antibiotics - carbapenems.

These are generally reserved for use in emergencies and to combat hard-to-treat infections caused by other multi-resistant bacteria.

And experts fear NDM-1 could now jump to other strains of bacteria that are already resistant to many other antibiotics.

Ultimately, this could produce dangerous infections that would spread rapidly from person to person and be almost impossible to treat.

At least one of the NDM-1 infections the researchers analysed was resistant to all known antibiotics.

Similar infections have been seen in the US, Canada, Australia and the Netherlands and international researchers say that NDM-1 could become a major global health problem.

Infections have already been passed from patient to patient in UK hospitals.

The way to stop NDM-1, say researchers, is to rapidly identify and isolate any hospital patients who are infected.

Normal infection control measures, such as disinfecting hospital equipment and doctors and nurses washing their hands with antibacterial soap, can stop the spread.

And currently, most of the bacteria carrying NDM-1 have been treatable using a combination of different antibiotics.

Continue reading the main story
Analysis
Geeta Pandey

BBC News, Delhi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Indian health ministry and the medical fraternity are yet to see the Lancet report but doctors in India say they are not surprised by the discovery of the new superbug.

"There is little drug control in India and an irrational use of antibiotics," Delhi-based Dr Arti Vashisth told the BBC.

Doctors say common antibiotics have become ineffective in India partly because people can buy them over the counter and indulge in self-medication. They also take small doses and discontinue treatment.

Gastroenterologist Vishnu Chandra Agarwal says in the past year he has come across many patients with E.coli infections who have not responded to regular antibiotics.

"In about a dozen cases, I have used a chemical - furadantin - to treat my patients. And it has worked. It makes them horribly nauseous, but it works," he says.
But the potential of NDM-1 to become endemic worldwide is "clear and frightening", say the researchers in The Lancet infectious diseases paper.

The research was carried out by experts at Cardiff University, the Health Protection Agency and international colleagues.

Dr David Livermore, one of the researchers and who works for the UK's Health Protection Agency (HPA), said: "There have been a number of small clusters within the UK, but far and away the greater number of cases appear to be associated with travel and hospital treatment in the Indian subcontinent.

"This type of resistance has become quite widespread there.

"The fear would be that it gets into a strain of bacteria that is very good at being transmitted between patients."

He said the threat was a serious global public health problem as there are few suitable new antibiotics in development and none that are effective against NDM-1.

The Department of Health has already put out an alert on the issue, he said.

"We issue these alerts very sparingly when we see new and disturbing resistance."

Travel history

The National Resistance Alert came in 2009 after the HPA noted an increasing number of cases - some fatal - emerging in the UK.

The Lancet study looked back at some of the NDM-1 cases referred to the HPA up to 2009 from hospitals scattered across the UK.

At least 17 of the 37 patients they studied had a history of travelling to India or Pakistan within the past year, and 14 of them had been admitted to a hospital in these countries - many for cosmetic surgery.

For some of the patients the infection was mild, while others were seriously ill, and some with blood poisoning.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "We are working with the HPA on this issue.

"Hospitals need to ensure they continue to provide good infection control to prevent any spread, consider whether patients have recently been treated abroad and send samples to HPA for testing.

"So far there has only been a small number of cases in UK hospital patients. The HPA is continuing to monitor the situation and we are investigating ways of encouraging the development of new antibiotics with our European colleagues."

The Welsh Assembly Government said it would be "fully considering" the report.

"The NHS in Wales is used to dealing with multi-resistant bacteria using standard microbiological approaches, and would deal with any new bacteria in a similar way," said a spokesperson.

I will not give in to the fear that they are already trying to spread about this. It seems you can't have a simple infection these days without warning it could be a global catastrophe. I expect they'll be producing a vaccine next.  :shock:

I think this should be the link to the article: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

Re: New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals
August 11, 2010, 12:17:03 PM
I believe all these killer bugs such swine flue, bird flue, aids, etc. and more are all man-made in top-secret labs and/or disease centres. They make it look like they're trying to stop or control it with their vaccines, but meanwhile it is spread. These vaccines could potentially hold latent future deadly disease or sterility. Many of these smaller cases may be dry runs for the really big one coming, they warn us about. Remember SerenitysDream's thread on the true intentions of the elite, and their projected ideal earth population of 300 million. We have a huge centre for disease control in my city of Winnipeg. This last spring there was a huge hype and scaremongering about a flue called H1N1, that they wanted everyone to gets vaccine shots for. My family didn't get it, but there was considerable pressure to do so. 35% of Manitobans took it apparantly.  It blew over and now nothing. Meanwhile thousands actually die from other causes that the media says little about. I believe these are all like birth-pangs before the real thing.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

curlsTopic starter

August 11, 2010, 12:45:11 PM
Exactly, MJonmind, but I tell you it was mighty freeing to hear this today and not start worrying like I did with the Swine Flu 'scare' last year.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

August 11, 2010, 08:05:08 PM
Quote from: "MJonmind"
I believe all these killer bugs such swine flue, bird flue, aids, etc. and more are all man-made in top-secret labs and/or disease centres. They make it look like they're trying to stop or control it with their vaccines, but meanwhile it is spread. These vaccines could potentially hold latent future deadly disease or sterility. Many of these smaller cases may be dry runs for the really big one coming, they warn us about. Remember SerenitysDream's thread on the true intentions of the elite, and their projected ideal earth population of 300 million. We have a huge centre for disease control in my city of Winnipeg. This last spring there was a huge hype and scaremongering about a flue called H1N1, that they wanted everyone to gets vaccine shots for. My family didn't get it, but there was considerable pressure to do so. 35% of Manitobans took it apparantly.  It blew over and now nothing. Meanwhile thousands actually die from other causes that the media says little about. I believe these are all like birth-pangs before the real thing.

I am in agreement with you on this, MJonmind.  Remember the Avian flu scare a few years back- there's an American pharmaceutical company (can't remember the name though..maybe Baxter?) that was actually investigated for developing that disease and sending it out to 18 under-developed nations in the world in the form of vaccines.  So basically they send "medicine" to poorer countries where alot of people get "vaccinated" when they are actually being INJECTED WITH THE AVIAN FLU.  These poor people go home where it's entirely possible they live in over-crowded homes and it spreads like crazy.  Enough of them die to get the media's attention (which is what the pharmaceutical company wants) and all of a sudden sales of tamiflu go crazy as people are scared of dying from avian flu.  Same thing in Mexico with the swine flu.  Now this new bug.  It starts in India, and is spread to UK by people returning home from India after having surgery there.  So while they're under the knife in India, they're given this new super bug to spread it around??  And isn't it weird how this super bug resists pretty much all antibiotics?  I guess it was just designed that way.
Oh and MJonmind, I'm one of the 65% of people from MB who didn't get the H1N1 vaccine!  ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

August 12, 2010, 07:24:02 AM
Soon as I heard this on the BBC news this morning (Im in the UK) I thought!  "Here we go again" Swine flu, its just spreading fear among the general public, just like last years Swine flu, and no I didnt get the vaccine either, we have all learnt so much since 25 June 2009, its liberating!  Thanks Michael ;)

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

August 12, 2010, 11:09:59 AM
funny, after the W.H.O said that the swine flu is no longer a threat, there is a supposed new deadly virus resistant to everything
... :|
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grace

August 12, 2010, 12:39:07 PM
There are so many antibiotics out there that I really am not worried at all that another than those of carbapenem type may help fight the "newly discovered issue".

I developped an allergy against specific types of antibiotics and we found others that did the same job and did it very well. As so often, the cure depends on the patient's knowledge and capability to allow healing and the knowledge of your doc about healing methods and drugs. The doc is only the one-eyed amongst blind folks anyway - don't overestimate their power. They are humans after all and sometimes are not as fit as desirable in their specific field of practice. Most helpful for the healing is keeping your own common sense and insisting on the right doc - and change the doc if he/she does not cooperate with you.

IMO the above mentioned is just another "spread fear because nobody will educate him-/herself about the real issue" - story.

These are only some of the many, many antibiotics that are available, today:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(P.S.: bacteria are not viruses - two different survival concepts. Bacteria are living indipendent "animals" with a proper own functioning life system whereas viruses can only exist by living on a host - living like a parasite. You cannot vaccinate against bacteria but you can kill them when they occur. You cannot kill viruses but you can initiate an alarm clock to identify them in the immune system by vaccinating in advance ("know your enemy"-principle).)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
***********************************************************************************************
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002
***********************************************************************************************
******* Let's tear the walls in the brains of this world down.*******

Time to BE.

August 12, 2010, 05:01:30 PM
Don't accept a future vaccin against this future virus if they offer it to you.
I think it's an all new BS made after the fail of H1N1.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions