curlsTopic starter

Fist in ears?
August 09, 2010, 08:08:17 AM
Has there been a discussion here about the J5 bit in TII where MJ doesn't sing because he's 'adjusting to the situation' of being unable to hear because it feels like a fist in his ear? This part bugs me, it seemed odd and a lot of time was spent on it with his conversation with Kenny.  But I don't want to go over it all again if it's already been dissected!
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Fist in ears?
August 09, 2010, 12:12:13 PM
I've always thought they spent too muchtime on that particular part. Weird, huh? Well great minds think alike, I guess. ;) I think it could be something, but I don't think it's been discussed much yet.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
June 25, 2009 - The Day I Woke Up

August 09, 2010, 02:34:23 PM
Yes, it was discussed somewhere. I remember that the conclusion was that MJ doesn't want to listen to people's advice because he feels as if somebody was putting a fist in his ear... He wants to decide about himself alone... :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Please, click "I Like It" on my Facebook page if you like my drawings :) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br>

PJ4MJ

August 09, 2010, 05:18:39 PM
I just watched TII again yesterday and I thought the same thing:  Why so much time spent on that conversation...unless that was the only run-through of the J5 stuff they had?  I don't know; just guessing.

I also thought it strange that everything kept going - the band, the dancers - even though it was very apparent Michael was unhappy with something.  I know he runs the show, but it's not like Kenny ever had a problem jumping in before.  Case in point: Smooth Criminal.  Kenny interrupted the whole thing when he thought the band had missed the cue to start.  So the whole J5 medley part just seemed strange.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CC

August 10, 2010, 01:13:52 PM
We already have this "conversation" here, but i can´t found the topic... :roll:
i found so strange this part too... btw, i love this part of the movie! but yesterday i was watching one music channel and i saw a video from a latin singer and something got my atention: they are at studio recording and the video was filmed there, like an inside look of the recording studio... and all the band members and the singer have this thing in the ears. i will make my point now, we know for sure that michael never use this ears thing at live performances, and why use it in rehearsals? this was a recording sesion (i think) because this latin singer never use this ear thing at live either...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Some men see things as they are and say: WHY?
I dream things that never were and say: WHY NOT?

*Mo*

August 10, 2010, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: "CC"
We already have this "conversation" here, but i can´t found the topic... :roll:
i found so strange this part too... btw, i love this part of the movie! but yesterday i was watching one music channel and i saw a video from a latin singer and something got my atention: they are at studio recording and the video was filmed there, like an inside look of the recording studio... and all the band members and the singer have this thing in the ears. i will make my point now, we know for sure that michael never use this ears thing at live performances, and why use it in rehearsals? this was a recording sesion (i think) because this latin singer never use this ear thing at live either...

It's perfectly normal to use in-ears during gigs, especially in closed venues.  In case no in-ears are used, you will see monitors on the stage in front of each musician.

I'm not sure whether Mike never used in-ears during live performances, he can very well have been using them as he always had a transmitter attached to his waist band.

The thing that has always bothered me about this particular scene in TII is that Mike calls them inner-ears, while every musician knows they are called in-ears.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sarahli

August 10, 2010, 01:56:45 PM
Quote from: "curls"
Has there been a discussion here about the J5 bit in TII where MJ doesn't sing because he's 'adjusting to the situation' of being unable to hear because it feels like a fist in his ear? This part bugs me, it seemed odd and a lot of time was spent on it with his conversation with Kenny.  But I don't want to go over it all again if it's already been dissected!

I don't know if it's been "debunked" but I love that part because Michael has a special smile on his face that tells a lot to me. And the word "adjusting" makes me think of one of TS' redirects to one of my post where I used the word "readjusting" regarding  Michael (re)adjusting things during the hoax to guide us where he wants us to go. Maybe it's connected...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

CC

August 10, 2010, 02:15:48 PM
Quote from: "*Mo*"
It's perfectly normal to use in-ears during gigs, especially in closed venues.  In case no in-ears are used, you will see monitors on the stage in front of each musician.

I'm not sure whether Mike never used in-ears during live performances, he can very well have been using them as he always had a transmitter attached to his waist band.

The thing that has always bothered me about this particular scene in TII is that Mike calls them inner-ears, while every musician knows they are called in-ears.

i know is normal to use it, but mj never use them and he say in tii that he is not familiarized with this "inner ears" that he is trying to "adjusting to the situation" and i don´t see him using this inner ears at live performances, about the transmitter attached to his waist i think is for the microphone... :roll:  and btw, we see monitors too during tii...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

August 10, 2010, 03:00:44 PM
As I understood this whole scene, Michael did not use to sing the OLD songs with in-ears, because, as a child he only used the stage monitors. I guess that the problem was with using the "inner ears" only with THESE PARTICULAR SONGS OF the JACKSON 5. I guess he was using these "inner ears" in other, newer songs without any problems...
But I might be wrong...  :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Please, click "I Like It" on my Facebook page if you like my drawings :) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br>

*Mo*

August 11, 2010, 05:39:27 AM

i know is normal to use it, but mj never use them and he say in tii that he is not familiarized with this "inner ears" that he is trying to "adjusting to the situation" and i don´t see him using this inner ears at live performances, about the transmitter attached to his waist i think is for the microphone... :roll:  and btw, we see monitors too during tii...

Can you please post a screenshot of the moment you see monitors on stage?  I have been looking out for them, but did not see them.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same kind of monitor - I mean stage PA monitors, not to be confused with the autocue we saw in This Is It.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grace

August 11, 2010, 06:49:49 AM

While watching TII, I never had the impression that Michael complained about the technical device only but that he was really concerned about his hearing capabilities being disturbed or in worst case harmed by the impact of the technical devices.

Artists are always concerned about their instruments of expression.
Singers fear for their voice and many musicians are blessed with the talent of absolute pitch which requires much ear training and comes down to an individual tonal memory.

Technical devices in many cases indeed do disturb perception and expression of sounds.

Damage to the human ear
Inner ear trauma

There are two principal damage mechanisms to the inner ear in industrialized society, and both injure hair cells. The first is exposure to elevated sound levels (noise trauma), and the second is exposure to drugs and other substances (ototoxicity).

Inner ear: cochlea, vestibule, and semi-circular canals

The inner ear includes both the organ of hearing (the cochlea) and a sense organ that is attuned to the effects of both gravity and motion (labyrinth or vestibular apparatus). The balance portion of the inner ear consists of three semi-circular canals and the vestibule. The inner ear is encased in the hardest bone of the body. Within this ivory hard bone, there are fluid-filled hollows. Within the cochlea are three fluid filled spaces: the tympanic canal, the vestibular canal, and the middle canal. The eighth cranial nerve comes from the brain stem to enter the inner ear. When sound strikes the ear drum, the movement is transferred to the footplate of the stapes, which presses into one of the fluid-filled ducts of the cochlea. The fluid inside this duct is moved, flowing against the receptor cells of the Organ of Corti, which fire. These stimulate the spiral ganglion, which sends information through the auditory portion of the eighth cranial nerve to the brain.

Hair cells are also the receptor cells involved in balance, although the hair cells of the auditory and vestibular systems of the ear are not identical. Vestibular hair cells are stimulated by movement of fluid in the semicircular canals and the utricle and saccule. Firing of vestibular hair cells stimulates the Vestibular portion of the eighth cranial nerve.[7]...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
***********************************************************************************************
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002
***********************************************************************************************
******* Let's tear the walls in the brains of this world down.*******

Time to BE.

Sangre

August 11, 2010, 08:21:18 AM
Quote from: "Grace"

While watching TII, I never had the impression that Michael complained about the technical device only but that he was really concerned about his hearing capabilities being disturbed or in worst case harmed by the impact of the technical devices.

Artists are always concerned about their instruments of expression.
Singers fear for their voice and many musicians are blessed with the talent of absolute pitch which requires much ear training and comes down to an individual tonal memory.

Technical devices in many cases indeed do disturb perception and expression of sounds.

Damage to the human ear
Inner ear trauma

There are two principal damage mechanisms to the inner ear in industrialized society, and both injure hair cells. The first is exposure to elevated sound levels (noise trauma), and the second is exposure to drugs and other substances (ototoxicity).

Inner ear: cochlea, vestibule, and semi-circular canals

The inner ear includes both the organ of hearing (the cochlea) and a sense organ that is attuned to the effects of both gravity and motion (labyrinth or vestibular apparatus). The balance portion of the inner ear consists of three semi-circular canals and the vestibule. The inner ear is encased in the hardest bone of the body. Within this ivory hard bone, there are fluid-filled hollows. Within the cochlea are three fluid filled spaces: the tympanic canal, the vestibular canal, and the middle canal. The eighth cranial nerve comes from the brain stem to enter the inner ear. When sound strikes the ear drum, the movement is transferred to the footplate of the stapes, which presses into one of the fluid-filled ducts of the cochlea. The fluid inside this duct is moved, flowing against the receptor cells of the Organ of Corti, which fire. These stimulate the spiral ganglion, which sends information through the auditory portion of the eighth cranial nerve to the brain.

Hair cells are also the receptor cells involved in balance, although the hair cells of the auditory and vestibular systems of the ear are not identical. Vestibular hair cells are stimulated by movement of fluid in the semicircular canals and the utricle and saccule. Firing of vestibular hair cells stimulates the Vestibular portion of the eighth cranial nerve.[7]...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think so, too. I think it felt strange for him cause he wasn't used to use that device.

I've heard "fist in ears" used for a disturbing or loud sound as well, but then again English is not my mother language.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"No one should judge what I\'ve done with my life. Not unless they\'ve been in my shoes every horrible day and every sleepless night." ~ Michael J. (1995)

MissG

August 11, 2010, 09:47:05 AM
Oh! 1st time I heard the "inner ears" comment I believed that MJ was deaf or on the way getting deaf  :? so I understood by that comment that he had an audio implant in his ear.
Would not be the very first musician that gets deaf...I know some musicians/ singers and tinitus it´s a common factor.
Some of them can hardly listen after the years working with loud music.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

curlsTopic starter

August 11, 2010, 10:18:17 AM
Hmm, so this could be purely a technical issue that's being discussed in this part of TII. I'm not so sure .... but thanks for your comments!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CC

August 11, 2010, 10:48:20 AM

Can you please post a screenshot of the moment you see monitors on stage?  I have been looking out for them, but did not see them.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same kind of monitor - I mean stage PA monitors, not to be confused with the autocue we saw in This Is It.

I DON´T KNOW HOW TO DO SCREEN SHOTS BUT DURING EARTH SONG AND BLACK OR WHITE (which i think that was rehearsed the same day) I´M SURE I SAW THOSE, I HAVE A PICTURE BUT I DON´T KNOW IF THIS IS A MONITOR AND I DON´T HAVE OTHERS... :roll:
I WILL LOOK AGAIN IF I CAN FIND A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE
HERE IS THE PICTURE, AND BTW WHY IS ORI WITH A MICROPHONE? WAS SHE REHEARSING FOR WHAT???
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal