*Mo*

August 5th, 2010 10:23 AM

Google-Verizon Deal: The End of The Internet as We Know It
By Josh Silver / Huffington Post

For years, Internet advocates have warned of the doomsday scenario that will play out on Monday: Google and Verizon will announce a deal that the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login "could allow Verizon to speed some online content to Internet users more quickly if the content's creators are willing to pay for the privilege."

The deal marks the beginning of the end of the Internet as you know it. Since its beginnings, the Net was a level playing field that allowed all content to move at the same speed, whether it's ABC News or your uncle's video blog. That's all about to change, and the result couldn't be more bleak for the future of the Internet, for television, radio and independent voices.

How did this happen? We have a Federal Communications Commission that has been denied authority by the courts to police the activities of Internet service providers like Verizon and Comcast. All because of a bad decision by the Bush-era FCC. We have a pro-industry FCC Chairman who is terrified of making a decision, conducting back room dealmaking, and willing to sit on his hands rather than reassert his agency's authority. We have a president who promised to "take a back seat to no one on Net Neutrality" yet remains silent. We have a congress that is nearly completely captured by industry. Yes, more than half of the US congress will do pretty much whatever the phone and cable companies ask them to. Add the clout of Google, and you have near-complete control of Capitol Hill.

A non-neutral Internet means that companies like AT&T, Comcast, Verizon and Google can turn the Net into cable TV and pick winners and losers online. A problem just for Internet geeks? You wish. All video, radio, phone and other services will soon be delivered through an Internet connection. Ending Net Neutrality would end the revolutionary potential that any website can act as a television or radio network. It would spell the end of our opportunity to wrest access and distribution of media content away from the handful of massive media corporations that currently control the television and radio dial.

So the Google-Verizon deal can be summed up as this: "F- you FCC, you have no authority over us and you're not going to do anything about it. F-you Congress, we own you, and we'll get whatever legislation we want. And F-you American people, 'cause you've got nobody in Washington who can stop us.

This Google-Verizon deal, this industry-captured FCC, a the way this is playing out, is akin to the largest banks and the largest hedge funds writing the regulatory policy on derivative trading without any oversight or input from the public, and having it rubber stamped by the SEC. It's like BP and Haliburton ironing out the rules for offshore oil drilling with no public input, and having MMS sign off.

Fortunately, while they are outnumbered, there are several powerful Net Neutrality champions on Capitol Hill, like Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Henry Waxman, Jay Rockefeller and many others. But they will not be able to turn this tide unless they have massive, visible support from every American who uses the Internet --- whether it's for news, email, shopping, Facebook, Twitter --- whatever. So stop what you're doing and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login The future of the Internet, and your access to information depends on it.

Source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Michael Moore tweeted this video today:

[youtube:ucgm1a6h]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ODV5U87yps[/youtube:ucgm1a6h]

This is Michael Moore's last tweet:
1. Call White House: 202-456-1111. 2. Call Congress: 202-224-3121. 3. Write FCC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 4. Cancel Verizon internet: 888-553-1555
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[/b]
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

[youtube:1jqogiev]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q[/youtube:1jqogiev]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

This needs some serious re-reading and thinking. There must simply be something people can do against this kind of misuse of power and this threat.  I can't think of anything, can any of you?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

So prince was right again .....

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Hazzely

Oh GOD! What about us?? Whatever happened to our rights?!
This pissed me off

F**k off already

*goes for a walk*

Excuse my french..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
May your spirit keep the freedom of a butterfly in spring and your heart be filled always with the joys of simple things. May your essence claim the freshness of the new laid morning dew. All of this...and more...
Forever, http]

paula-c

I thought Bush was a madman. but the actions or inactions of Obama have horrified me.
Day of shame.

one moved so could end up dividing the internet, similar to other media are dominated by oligopolies that make it virtually impossible that an independent media to reach a mass audience and can be economically sustain without compromising their plan.

FUCK GOOGLE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

UTisNUM1

Google and Verizon have both released statements saying that article posted in the new York times that started this discussion was false. Even if they were to ce
To a deal, it would have to go through the FCC which is quite against tactics like this. If it were ever to get through the FCC, it would need go through congress which most politicians here oppose this idea in the first place.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Oh, no no no no no no no no no! My gosh, I just froze at this- we can't let this happen! Seriously, everyone, as MJ's Army what can we do? Oh, my my my my my..!!

EDIT:Oh, UT, are you certain? I feel weird at having panicked one second and relieved the next- this really cannot happen..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

rasyte

guys my english is not good and I dont fully understand this article... :?  can someone plz tell me the main things??  so I can understand ?   :roll:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions