mjkateTopic starter

1993 was analgesia abuse???
August 05, 2010, 04:09:52 PM
I read this in a book by Lisa Campbell - the king of pop's darkest hour.

Has anyone else read anything about this doctor that claimed to treat him for the "addiction" in 1993.  This is the first I have heard that it was a dependancy on analegesia but this is a direct quote and it states the only trouble in 1993 was analgesia abuse. This is an exerpt from the book......

As skepticism about Michael's painkiller dependency ran rampant for days on end, there was finally, on November 22, a statement released by the doctor who was treating Michael. Dr. Beauchamp Colclough sent a letter to the press to "refute any suggestion that Mr. Jackson is 'hiding out' or seeking any other care other than the program for analgesia abuse." Dr. Colclough addressed suggestions that Michael was undergoing cosmetic surgery, and that he was suicidal, saying that "no other medical, surgical or psychological condition exists":
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjkateTopic starter

Re: 1993 was analgesia abuse???
August 05, 2010, 04:33:09 PM
When I looked up analagesia it says morphine and opiates. I just assumed that was a little hardcore for 1993. There would have been no need for morphine in 1993 would there. Karen Faye said she didn't think there was a drug problem from the pepsi accident. The only issue from the deposition in Mexico was a sore tooth and he performed the tour until they cancelled it so what kind of physical pain would he have been in back then? Do I have it right...morphine is for physical pain and there are other drugs for emotional pain?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

all4loveandbelieve

August 05, 2010, 07:08:06 PM
Quote from: "mjkate"
When I looked up analagesia it says morphine and opiates. I just assumed that was a little hardcore for 1993. There would have been no need for morphine in 1993 would there. Karen Faye said she didn't think there was a drug problem from the pepsi accident. The only issue from the deposition in Mexico was a sore tooth and he performed the tour until they cancelled it so what kind of physical pain would he have been in back then? Do I have it right...morphine is for physical pain and there are other drugs for emotional pain?

What I know about morphine they give it to the cancer patients when they are almost dying. So they can be comfortable before dying. They are very much in pain, I know I had family who died of cancer, and she was on morphine. I really don't know why MJ would have been in morphine, it is a very strong medication.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

suspicious mind

August 05, 2010, 08:09:41 PM
i think that can even include everyday over the counter pain relievers. also dependency and addiction i believe are also two different things. :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

nefari

August 05, 2010, 11:35:20 PM
I've been on Morphine for a short while. I had to have extensive surgery to reimplant both of my ureters to correct a birth defect that was damaging my kidneys. Never did I feel like I wanted to stay on it either because the experience was that of laying on my back and watching the ceiling take off like a high speed jet only I was not moving at all, just the ceiling  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
]

Sangre

August 06, 2010, 02:27:01 AM
I'm not comfortable with talking about my own private matters, but I think my experience could spread some light to this issue. (If self-harm is triggering to anyone here, don't read)

Somebody already mentioned that addiction and dependency are two different things. I've never thought about it, but it makes perfect sense.

See my mother has an alcohol problem. Opposite to what you might think, she does not enjoy the taste of alcohol nor does she intentionally want to get drunk.

She's drinks every single day (but rarely gets drunk), because without - she just couldn't get through the day. Gosh, I hate talking about it...She used to suffer from depression and she's been a nervous wreck ever since. She's a very anxious person and she's dependent to alcohol in a sense that it relaxes her, simply gives her courage.

But sometimes she indeed looses it and goes too far and frankly it has gotten me into humiliating situations.

And now my own story. When I was a young child (maybe a pre-teen) I discovered a very unhealthy way of coping - self-harm. It was just a phaze at first and I stopped after awhile. But years later, I went through a lot of confusing, even traumatic experiences and I needed a way to escape from all of it. One day, my cat scratched me while I played with her and I knew I had taken a trip back to my childhood. Just having the scratch alone reminded me how it felt like to be in control of your own pain. Before I realized I was self-harming again. It went worse and worse. I knew I had a problem, but I thought that "hey, if that's what helps me, then be it - it's perfectly fine until no one finds out." It was kind of like some people keep their baby blankets or favorite childhood stuffed animals - in the back of your head you're aware that people might think you're a huge baby, but you need that comfort and you'll keep those items anyway, even if you have to keep them hidden in your closet so no one would know.

(I don't do that anymore)

I think this is what might of happened with Michael. He got dependent on painkillers, maybe not for the effect, but for the comfort of just knowing that when you're in pain, you take a painkiller and you'll be fine. It offered him the comfort that he was looking for. And later years, he might of relapsed because he might of remembered how he used to turn to medications for 'help'.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"No one should judge what I\'ve done with my life. Not unless they\'ve been in my shoes every horrible day and every sleepless night." ~ Michael J. (1995)

all4loveandbelieve

August 06, 2010, 08:07:14 AM
Quote from: "Sangre"
I'm not comfortable with talking about my own private matters, but I think my experience could spread some light to this issue. (If self-harm is triggering to anyone here, don't read)

Somebody already mentioned that addiction and dependency are two different things. I've never thought about it, but it makes perfect sense.

See my mother has an alcohol problem. Opposite to what you might think, she does not enjoy the taste of alcohol nor does she intentionally want to get drunk.

She's drinks every single day (but rarely gets drunk), because without - she just couldn't get through the day. Gosh, I hate talking about it...She used to suffer from depression and she's been a nervous wreck ever since. She's a very anxious person and she's dependent to alcohol in a sense that it relaxes her, simply gives her courage.

But sometimes she indeed looses it and goes too far and frankly it has gotten me into humiliating situations.

And now my own story. When I was a young child (maybe a pre-teen) I discovered a very unhealthy way of coping - self-harm. It was just a phaze at first and I stopped after awhile. But years later, I went through a lot of confusing, even traumatic experiences and I needed a way to escape from all of it. One day, my cat scratched me while I played with her and I knew I had taken a trip back to my childhood. Just having the scratch alone reminded me how it felt like to be in control of your own pain. Before I realized I was self-harming again. It went worse and worse. I knew I had a problem, but I thought that "hey, if that's what helps me, then be it - it's perfectly fine until no one finds out." It was kind of like some people keep their baby blankets or favorite childhood stuffed animals - in the back of your head you're aware that people might think you're a huge baby, but you need that comfort and you'll keep those items anyway, even if you have to keep them hidden in your closet so no one would know.

(I don't do that anymore)

I think this is what might of happened with Michael. He got dependent on painkillers, maybe not for the effect, but for the comfort of just knowing that when you're in pain, you take a painkiller and you'll be fine. It offered him the comfort that he was looking for. And later years, he might of relapsed because he might of remembered how he used to turn to medications for 'help'.

Sangre, I am so sorry you had to go through all of this, it is not easy especially for a child to see a  mother going through a bad situation. Yes you are absolutely correct, taking pain killers is like a security blanket
It becomes part of your daily schedule without realizing it. I think this is what may have happened to Michael.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Michael Jackson

Sangre

August 06, 2010, 09:07:50 AM
I also apologize if my story was too personal, I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from with my views on MJ's addiction/dependency.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"No one should judge what I\'ve done with my life. Not unless they\'ve been in my shoes every horrible day and every sleepless night." ~ Michael J. (1995)

suspicious mind

August 06, 2010, 09:21:56 AM
I also apologize if my story was too personal, I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from with my views on MJ's addiction/dependency.

i pray God will keep his hand on you and give you his peace so that you will be able to maintain victory over this affliction.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

all4loveandbelieve

August 06, 2010, 12:30:48 PM

No need to apologize, every household has their own secrets. What you have done took courage and it is the first step to recovery.  I studied psychology and it is very hard for a person to talk about her or his secrets, but you did it. May God bless you, and protect all your family,
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Michael Jackson

Sangre

August 06, 2010, 01:50:45 PM
Quote from: "all4loveandbelieve"

No need to apologize, every household has their own secrets. What you have done took courage and it is the first step to recovery.  I studied psychology and it is very hard for a person to talk about her or his secrets, but you did it. May God bless you, and protect all your family,

I didn't know if I should share it and even now I'm thinking I could have found another way to back up my statement when it comes to Michael Jackson's problems. Though, it's easier to talk about stuff like that online, because no one will match your story with your face and you don't have to wear that stigma. Thanks for your support!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

curls

August 06, 2010, 01:58:07 PM
Sangre, please don't feel stigmatised by it. IMO and experience, many, if not all, of these addictive/obsessive things are biochemical. They are not your fault.  And I doubt whether many of us are without 'skeletons in our closets'. With L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

August 06, 2010, 05:36:20 PM
Quote from: "curls"
Sangre, please don't feel stigmatised by it. IMO and experience, many, if not all, of these addictive/obsessive things are biochemical. They are not your fault.  And I doubt whether many of us are without 'skeletons in our closets'. With L.O.V.E.

yep. that's the thing about skeletons they have more  power over us when they are in the closet.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal