Is it illegal to fake your death??
June 28, 2010, 02:17:16 PM
So obviously you all know that I'm a strong beLIEver, and it seems to me that the 2 most opposing excuses us believers hear are "he wouldn't do this to his family and his fans" which we all know the response to, but the other one is "it's illegal to fake your death and if Michael comes back he'll be arrested"
And when people tell me this, although I don't believe that he'll be arrested when he comes back, I dont really know what to say in response to this, and then all the non believers gang up on me like "Yeah! That's true!"

So can you guys help me out with this one? This is probably a very simple topic for most of you but I'm not very well educated about these types of goverment-issues and what not haha, so how do we respond to this?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

In My Heart; I Feel You Are All My Brothers...[/b]

Re: Is it illegal to fake your death??
June 28, 2010, 02:37:57 PM
i asked an attorney about witness protection , my concern was why doctors or high official would risk their jobs by signing fake papers and his reply was that ,It is not against the ethics or law for anyone to do anything so long as the law has an exception and one is merely complying with the law. Hence, the law permits doctors and coroners to sign fake papers to protect the life of someone. Hence, when doctors and coroners are signing fake papers, they are complying with the state or the federal law. Remember, an ambulance does not have to comply with the speed limit because the law provided for it as an exception to the rule.
   hope this helps, take care, have a nice day
    Godbless
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 28, 2010, 02:43:22 PM
I think we've discussed this thousands of times  :roll:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Nicole \":)\"

nefari

June 28, 2010, 02:46:14 PM
And I'm still trying to work out in my own mind how just maybe this can all possibly be a big huge movie, with everything we see or think we see being both illusion and hired actors or hired individuals let's say and also Michael and I think at least a couple of the Jackson Brothers playing other people as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
]

June 28, 2010, 02:46:25 PM
i know we discussed this many times ,  he /she must be new to the forum , or log in after a long time , i think its good  to clear up his/ her doubt .
   take care
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 28, 2010, 02:47:28 PM
Quote from: "_Dangerous_"
I think we've discussed this thousands of times  :roll:

Yeah you probably have but I just joined this forum last Thursday, if I had been part of those discussions I obviously wouldn't be asking for help now  ;)
The only thing I've seen on here related to this is that I heard it was illegal to fake your death to escape paying off debts, not just to fake your death period.

and mjj_fan thanks ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 28, 2010, 03:09:52 PM
According to the research I have done faking your death is not illegal. The illegality come in when you do so to commit a crime i.e. insurance fraud, tax evasion or obtaining tax/death benefits, and evading justice. None of these have been done in this case. Some argue that fraud could arise becasue such a great amount of merchandise was sold after his death adding money to the estate, but I don't believe this could be proved with out a doubt in court.  Michael was beloved throughout the world and it coud not be proven that revenue was solely in relation to the "death." Also nothing from the estate has been marketed based on his passing. An example of this is that no death date or mention of Michael's passing was included on the "This is It" movie or dvd and no compilations have come out referring to or mentioning his death.

Another argument some make is that the documents released like the death certificate and autopsy reports would constitute fraud if Michael would return. This is unlikely though because these documents have a wide array of errors and inconsistencies in them and could easily be shown as invalid to begin with. An example of this is the story of P.T. Barnums Cardiff case where it was ruled that there is no crime in presenting a "fake of a fake" see a brief but good summary of this at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login By the way Barnum was a huge inspiration to Michael and he spoke of him often!!  In short this has been well planned and executed, just like anything else that Michael has ever done. It does not appear that there would be any legal issues involved when he returns.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 28, 2010, 03:16:24 PM
Thank you very much!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 28, 2010, 06:40:08 PM
Is it illegal to fake your death?

Easy answer: none of us knows for sure.

Many people in this community, and others, have speculated on this topic for the last year. Many people think they have the answer or know what's true and what's not. But the simple fact is that people speculate based on information that they interpret and paraphrase to fit their own theory.

If Michael did hoax his death, and IF he comes back, that is how and when we will all know the answer for sure. Everything else is pure speculation or supposition, unless you happen to have a law degree and specialize in this particular area...or know someone else who does, and who has stated implicitly and in no uncertain terms that it either IS or ISN'T illegal to fake one's death, along with the criteria that determines it either way.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

(Translation = Just because I might disagree with you does not mean I\'m attacking you.)

June 28, 2010, 06:55:40 PM
To clarify my position, I have researched this particular question with a lawyer specializing in probate and estate law. There are many facets in these types of cases and we may not have all the information at this time, but from the information we currently have this is the conclusion that the lawyer arrived at. I always try to investigate things involving the legalities in this case beyond the chatrooms.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 28, 2010, 08:49:24 PM
I think the only way he'll be able to get away with it is because on the death certificate it says Michael Joseph Jackson when his llegal name is Michael Joe Jackson. so technically he didnt die :P lol thats my opinion
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DangerouslyBad

June 29, 2010, 01:09:56 PM
His death is registered with the Department of Social Security.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 29, 2010, 04:00:14 PM
@ dangerously bad does it means he has gone???
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

UTisNUM1

June 29, 2010, 04:27:24 PM
Quote from: "2ndStarTheRight"
According to the research I have done faking your death is not illegal. The illegality come in when you do so to commit a crime i.e. insurance fraud, tax evasion or obtaining tax/death benefits, and evading justice. None of these have been done in this case. Some argue that fraud could arise becasue such a great amount of merchandise was sold after his death adding money to the estate, but I don't believe this could be proved with out a doubt in court.  Michael was beloved throughout the world and it coud not be proven that revenue was solely in relation to the "death." Also nothing from the estate has been marketed based on his passing. An example of this is that no death date or mention of Michael's passing was included on the "This is It" movie or dvd and no compilations have come out referring to or mentioning his death.

It could be proven in a court. All they would have to do is look at sale figures before and leading up to the death and the figures of after the death to prove that the 800 million his estate made wouldn't have happened to fast if the death never happened. Also, Jermaine also said his brother passed away at the hospital during the brief press conference.

Bundled with the fact that people committed suicide when the news broke of Michaels passing and you have a bunch of civil, international law suits at hand if it turns out he faked his death.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions