Originally posted May 27th 2010 1:00 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

An extremely fancy belt commemorating Michael Jackson -- and allegedly "sanctioned" by Joe Jackson and Katherine Jackson -- can be yours for the bargain basement price of $1,500 -- problem is ... the whole thing may be illegal.

Check out this picture we got -- showing Joe and Katherine Jackson signing one of the belts ... and according to the official website promoting the belts, MJ's three kids -- Prince, Paris, and Blanket -- also signed their names.

Here's the problem.  The belts feature several images trademarked by Michael Jackson -- including dancing feet, MJ's silhouette and the MJ crest -- and MJ's estate must authorize any commercial use of those trademarks, as well as MJ's name or image.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So of course we called MJ estate lawyer Howard Weitzman, who said the belts were news to him and that the executors never authorized the sale.  Weitzman says, "The Trustees of the Estate of Michael Jackson did not authorize the making or the sale of the Michael Jackson Tribute Belts."  Weitzman continues, "We would never condone the use of Michael's children's signatures to promote the sale of merchandise."

We haven't found out who's behind the website ...  but Jerry Olivarez, a PR guy and friend of the Jackson family, has been touting the sale of the belts.  We're told the site goes live today and 7,000 belts will go up for sale.  And, there will be an auction for the belt signed by Joe, Katherine, and the kids -- opening bid is $5 grand.

Attempts to speak with Olivarez were unsuccessful.

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Okay if Joe and Katherine are really grieving parents then why would they be so quick to auction off their son's belongings?  They are even signing the belts themselves.  One of the belts has Blankets signature on it too.  If MJ truly died I don't feel Katherine would be able to part with his things so easily.  Especially his belts.  Those are like really personal he actually wore those and they have his trademark on them.  If I were related to MJ I would want to keep those items.  I'm sure he owned a lot of clothes and belts but still.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Serenitys_Dream

Quote from: "msteetee34"
Okay if Joe and Katherine are really grieving parents then why would they be so quick to auction off their son's belongings?  They are even signing the belts themselves.  One of the belts has Blankets signature on it too.  If MJ truly died I don't feel Katherine would be able to part with his things so easily.  Especially his belts.  Those are like really personal he actually wore those and they have his trademark on them.  If I were related to MJ I would want to keep those items.  I'm sure he owned a lot of clothes and belts but still.

These were NOT worn by Michael. They have been created using his trademarked images.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "Serenitys_Dream"
Quote from: "msteetee34"

These were NOT worn by Michael. They have been created using his trademarked images.

Oh okay I see because if those were really his belts I was thinking that would be cold blooded to auction them off.  However if they are just belts made with his trade mark symbols then that's a different story.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I dont think this is necessarily about the belts for sale in that context :roll:   I look at it from a slightly different angle, "Bogus"  means fake or false,  so maybe these "Fake belts" are indication that it is now time to fasten our "Fake" (HOAX) seatbelts the ride is about to get faster! :shock:  :)

I think there are lines to be read between, maybe I havent got it, but Im sure its not about selling belts, especially as they made to be sold and were not personal items. :?

;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Looks like Katherine is wearing her court clothe! :D

That guy looks a lil like slim K.O.

Maybe Weitzmen is TMZ source that allows them to get the MJ exclusives. TMZ said something like "Of course we called Howard Weitzmen..."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

And ... Khaterine'll call Joe and TMZ for the photo? :lol:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

b. B.S imon presents
BULL SHIT lol  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "LoveNeedsExpression"

Maybe Weitzmen is TMZ source that allows them to get the MJ exclusives. TMZ said something like "Of course we called Howard Weitzmen..."

Poor woman she needs new clothes...hahahaha :lol:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

this1crazygirl

Quote from: "mirandacnc"

stop being like that ya'll. older people like comfort clothes. they dress for comfort not necessarily style. and they could have closets full of clothes but always choose their favorite outfits....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "this1crazygirl"

stop being like that ya'll. older people like comfort clothes. they dress for comfort not necessarily style. and they could have closets full of clothes but always choose their favorite outfits....

i wasnt  being mean just thinking maybe the suit is a clue or something
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

this1crazygirl

Quote from: "this1crazygirl"

i wasnt  being mean just thinking maybe the suit is a clue or something
okay
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buckle up tight!  The ride is getting crazier by the day!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

~Souza~

Here is the interesting thing about this article. This article explains how the estate could easily get this sit offline, since we are using trademarks and his name and pictures in our url and on the website. Still no sign from the Jacksons though, makes you go hmmmm ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mmz

Quote from: "~Souza~"
Here is the interesting thing about this article. This article explains how the estate could easily get this sit offline, since we are using trademarks and his name and pictures in our url and on the website. Still no sign from the Jacksons though, makes you go hmmmm ;)

Souza,I think this is a bit different...It is not illegal if you don't get money using the trademarks...The illegal part is to use name pictures and TM for money purpose,and that is what Jackson family is doing... sorry..but in this case that is the reason why the estate is not bothering us..
Anyway,I sadly don't see any good news in this belt sell-out attempt... it doesn't fit with parents mourning maybe,but neither to the hoax. It just...doesn't fit! I posted the article in another thread talking about these belts....The jackson family purpose would be to collect money for the Gary museum...Odd,anyway... Always money ,money, money...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions