SarahliTopic starter

4 Selves
May 20, 2010, 09:39:01 AM
I had a nagging doubt about TS update title. We all understood the DOTS in "DO you Think 4 yourSelf" but not why 4. I thought about 4 Selves and typed it in my browser and found out an interesting perspective of 4 selves called the Johari window. I took quotes from this site and took what was relevant You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Your self awareness can be explained by examining a little concept known as the Johari Window model:

1. Open Self:
This aspect represents everything that you know of yourself and what others know of you. It includes such things as your name and age, marital status, your motives and desires, behaviours, rank.
This part of your Self is the one you have the most control over. Your Open Self window can vary in size depending on how much information about yourself you are willing to disclose (to relative strangers), the situation you are in or the people about you that you are interacting with. The size of the Open Self depends also on the personality of the person. Some people are quiet and do not readily reveal certain aspects of themselves and so have a small Open window, while others are very open and need little prompting to talk about themselves and have a large Open window. The more comfortable a person feels in a situation, the more likely it is that he will allow his Open window to expand by revealing parts of himself.

2. Blind Self:
This aspect represents everything about you that others know but you are not aware of.
The size of the Blind Self can also vary with people. Some people are oblivious to their faults and habits, while others seek to determine their every fault. You can reduce the size of your Blind Self by judicious questioning and prompting of others. Good interpersonal and conversational skills generally results in a smaller Blind Self. However, be careful about helping someone "discover" their Blind Self – that person may resent the perceived fault being pointed out to them.

3. Hidden Self:
This aspect contains all that you know about yourself but keep hidden from others. Such things as successfully kept secrets and personal thoughts, motives and desires which we feel belong only to us are examples of the Hidden Self.
The size of the Hidden Self is also dependant on the person. Some people readily disclose every minute detail about themselves and others are reluctant to divulge much of this personal information. Most people keep certain things to themselves and disclose other personal items and they make disclosures to some people and not others.

4. Unknown Self:
This aspect of the Self contains details about you that neither you nor others are aware of. There is little you can do about this aspect except be aware that it exists.
The Unknown Self is continually being reduced as you and others learn more about yourself and so transfer to the Hidden, Blind or Open Self. The Unknown Self can be revealed in unusual or demanding circumstances.

Inter-relation of the Selves.  The relative size of the different windows can vary and are dependant on the others and the circumstances you find yourself in. For example if the Hidden Self is reduced by disclosing a secret, the Open Self becomes larger or if something of you that you or others were not aware of is revealed in an unusual circumstance, the Unknown Self is reduced and the Open Self or the Hidden Self is expanded depending on whether the circumstance was observed by others or you related the experience to others or not.

A Johari window is a cognitive psychological tool created by Joseph Luft and Harry Ingham in 1955 in the United States, used to help people better understand their interpersonal communication  and relationships. It is used primarily in self-help groups and corporate settings as a heuristic  exercise.

When performing the exercise, the subject is given a list of 55 adjectives and picks five or six that they feel describe their own personality. Peers of the subject are then given the same list, and each pick five or six adjectives that describe the subject. These adjectives are then mapped onto a grid.[1]

Charles Handy calls this concept the Johari House with four rooms. Room 1 is the part of ourselves that we see and others see. Room 2 is the aspect that others see but we are not aware of. Room 3 is the most mysterious room in that the unconscious or subconscious bit of us is seen by neither ourselves nor others. Room 4 is our private space, which we know but keep from others.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do you think 4 yourSelf/ves ?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

Re: 4 Selves
May 20, 2010, 11:19:25 AM
This is very interesting! Thank you for posting this.  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Law of Power #37: Create Compelling Spectacles? Done.

SarahliTopic starter

May 20, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
Quote from: "truthseeker"
This is very interesting! Thank you for posting this.  :)

Your're welcome truthseeker, I love your nickname. Thanks for your comment.
I don't know if it's what TS wanted to point out with the title of the updates but it makes sense.

God bless you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

May 20, 2010, 03:48:12 PM
Great find Sarahli  :) I had a thought that this '4' meant something, but didn't look into it. I'm so pleased you did. ;)

Whether or not this was deliberate, it makes perfect sense. We are discovering the 'man' we never knew!
I think this is also directed at us. In 'Ghosts' Michael uses the mirror on suit guy to make him 'see' his own true self. Man in the mirror obviously springs to mind. I know there is a part of ourselves that we, ourselves are blind to, even if it is obvious to those who know you.
This is a journey of self-discovery. :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SarahliTopic starter

May 20, 2010, 04:25:28 PM
Quote from: "Believe 777"
Great find Sarahli  :) I had a thought that this '4' meant something, but didn't look into it. I'm so pleased you did. ;)

Whether or not this was deliberate, it makes perfect sense. We are discovering the 'man' we never knew!
I think this is also directed at us. In 'Ghosts' Michael uses the mirror on suit guy to make him 'see' his own true self. Man in the mirror obviously springs to mind. I know there is a part of ourselves that we, ourselves are blind to, even if it is obvious to those who know you.
This is a journey of self-discovery. :D
 ;)

Thank you Believe 777. Indeed we learn everyday. God bless you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 21, 2010, 07:39:24 PM
I could not help but notice number 4 on the ship in movie 2010.  lots of 4's in that movie .
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
" if you belive clap your hands" Peter pan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal